Celebrating Asheville’s Entrepreneurial Community
3rd Annual Asheville Entrepreneurship Week Begins September 2, 2019
Encouraging our citizens to celebrate the remarkable and everyday successes of our entrepreneurs and innovators.
Asheville Entrepreneurship Week is a celebration of Asheville’s growing startups, innovative businesses, and entrepreneurs from every industry. Entering its 3rd year, Asheville Entrepreneurship Week continues to grow partners and participants, reflecting the growth of the Asheville Entrepreneurial Ecosystem.
Led by the Hatch AVL Foundation and Venture Asheville, Asheville Entrepreneurship Week hosts a breadth of events including the Asheville Startup Games, an Intro to the Startup Scene event, TEDxAsheville, Hatch AVL’s notorious Pitch Party, the 1 Million Cups 5th Anniversary, and the capstone event, Asheville Investment Club’s Big Scary Fish Tank – where $500,000 will be awarded in a live pitch competition.
“I love this week. Summer is over, the kids are back in school, and there’s this tangible energy and focus throughout the city. You know Entrepreneurship is alive here, in so many forms, and this week brings them all together.” said Venture Asheville Director, Jeffrey Kaplan. “When we talk about entrepreneurship, we don’t just mean someone tinkering away on an app. While important, that is just one facet of a greater entrepreneurial ecosystem. This week identifies and uplifts the entrepreneurs across the ecosystem, so yes we’ll see some high-growth tech companies, but you’ll also see entrepreneurs as artists and thought-leaders at the Asheville Play Studios Open House, and you’ll see inspiring speakers at TEDx, and you’ll get insight into how to dive straight into the ecosystem at the Intro to the Startup Scene event.”
The week brings together industry veterans and new entrepreneurs forming valuable connections as they continue to make Asheville a welcome home for innovative thinkers and job creators. Asheville Entrepreneurship Week spans the entire business ecosystem, providing opportunities for everyone from startups to enterprises, and from artists to engineers. Asheville Entrepreneurship Week shines light on the incredible diversity of our entrepreneurial ecosystem.
George Glackin, Chair of the Board of the Hatch AVL Foundation, explained, “Since Hatch kicked off the 1st Asheville Entrepreneurship Week in 2017, the event has continued to grow and gotten cooler and more impactful every year! I love to see the partnerships continue to grow between multiple groups here in Asheville who all want to raise our city’s game in creating the next generation of new businesses. It’s great to be working with Venture Asheville and the Asheville Investment Club, to name just a few.”
Monday, September 2 (Labor Day)
- Enjoy your day off, save your energy for this week!
Tuesday, September 3
- Intro to the AVL Startup Scene presented by Supportedly and Venture Asheville
- 5:30 pm. 36 Montford Ave (at Venture Asheville) 2nd floor Boardroom
- Are you new to town and looking to get connected? Do you have game-changing ideas–or maybe just one sensational startup plan? Here’s your chance to be in the same room with your people!
Wednesday, September 4
- 1 Million Cups 5th Anniversary Party
- 9 am, 81 Broadway at the Asheville Social Hall
- 5 years of weekly events… 5 years of rallying together to create, support, build, & expand our startup ecosystem… 250+ founders laying their businesses, hearts, & dreams on the 1MCAVL stage…
- Smart Series: Chamber Wellness Plan
- 12-1 PM 36 Montford Ave
- Registration Required
- Presented by Layton Hower, VP of Finance and Human Resources, Asheville Chamber.
Thursday, September 5
- Pitch Party, Hatch AVL
- 6-8pm. 45 S French Broad. Anthroware Lounge
- It’s the most anticipated evening of entrepreneurship in all of Asheville – the Hatch Pitch Party! Presented in partnership with Venture Asheville – You can have a big idea or run a big business – you are welcome to pitch! For Asheville Entrepreneurship Week, the Pitch Party is on September 5th at 6pm.
- In addition to a high-energy general networking session, there will also be an organized process for attendees to meet each other one-on-one, or in small groups using the offices, desks, conference rooms and seating areas located throughout Mojo Coworking.
Friday, September 6
- 1042 Haywood Rd, Asheville, NC 28806
- Asheville Investments Club’s “Big Scary Fish Tank“
- 6-8 pm Asheville Masonic Temple 80 Broadway Street, Asheville, North Carolina
- Big Scary Fish Tank, presented by Asheville Investment Club, is a fundraiser to benefit local non-profit, OnTrack. As the capstone event of Asheville Entrepreneurship Week, leading professionals will come together to celebrate and support our entrepreneurial community. The event begins with an hour of cocktails, heavy hors d’oeuvres, and networking, followed by a live-pitch event where four pre-selected businesses will vie for real investment dollars in exchange for equity.On the night of September 6th, AIC will deploy $500,000 to locally connected companies in a rousing evening of audience interactive performance and networking.
- Tickets Required: https://bigscaryfishtank.simpletix.com/e/45967/
Saturday, September 7
- Asheville Startup Games
- 8 Startups will compete in a series of games to test skill, luck, and athleticism. the winning startup will have the honor of receiving all the entry fees and gifting all $1600 to a charity of their choice.
- Join Asheville Play Studios as we host our Grand Opening Celebration event at the NEW Podcast & Video Recording Studio in West Asheville, as part of Asheville Entrepreneurship Week 2019. Come out for fun networking, tours of the Studio, and complimentary local beer as we wrap-up an epic week of recognizing the entrepreneurial community of WNC!! No registration required.
- Asheville Play Studios
4 Vermont Avenue, Suite 3
Asheville, NC 28806
Sunday, September 8
- 1-5pm Diana Wortham Theatre, 18 Biltmore Ave, Asheville, NC 28801
- ‘Challenging Assumptions Breaking New Ground’ Revolutionary ideas that breakthrough. TEDx Asheville 2019 looks to inspire the community with the fresh voices that are the beacon for the new blueprint of change.
- Intro to the AVL Startup Scene
- 1 Million Cups 5th Anniversary
- Chamber of Commerce’s Smart Series
- Hatch AVL’s Pitch Party
- MOJO Connects
- Mindful Mornings
- Headlining Event Asheville Investment Club’s Big Scary Fish Tank
- Asheville Startup Games
- Asheville Play Studios Grand Opening